With 2018 coming to an end, now is the time to use those dental benefits you’ve been paying for all year. Not only is seeing your dentist in Carmel a smart move money-wise, it can prevent an unexpected toothache from ruining your holiday plans.
Preventative Care Is like Putting Money in the Bank
Financial experts say that there are two types of purchases: expenses and investments. For example, spending money on an evening out entails expense. Putting money in the bank for a rainy day or for retirement is an investment. Neither is good or bad in itself. However, it’s important to recognize the difference and budget your finances accordingly.
Dental coverage falls into the investment category. It costs money but pays dividends in terms of better health and protection from unexpected emergencies. Getting the value from this investment, however, means seeing your dentist for regular appointments. Otherwise you’re basically giving your insurer money for nothing, which is never a good idea.
Why Regular Dental Care is So Important
Healthy teeth and gums require regular trips to your dentist. Here’s why:
- Oral health problems are like other medical conditions. They can sneak up on you unawares, coming at you out of the blue when you’re least prepared.
- Brushing and flossing can help to control cavity-causing plaque and tartar. But removing these harmful substances entirely requires professional cleanings.
- Professional dental devices and equipment have come a long way in the last few years. Dentists are now able to detect cavities and other problems in their earliest stages, making treatment both less extensive and more effective. But you can’t enjoy these benefits unless you use your coverage.
- The holidays are a time for traveling, hosting and gift giving, all of which require money. Nothing will put a dent in your budget faster than a dental emergency. Even people with coverage usually pay a premium for short-notice procedures.
- Dental discomfort not only takes money out of your pocket, it can also ruin your holiday plans. You can’t enjoy the season if you’re in bed nursing a nasty toothache.
- If you’re a parent, then you already understand the importance of setting a good example. By going to the dentist, you’re showing that you’re serious about taking care of yourself. This will encourage your loved ones to do the same.
- Dental care is always advancing, not only in terms of technology but also when it comes to helpful tips. Your dentist can keep you up-to-date on better brushing tips and other important suggestions, enabling you to take better care of yourself.
- Nothing is more aggravating than dealing with paperwork when you need to see a dentist. With health plan and insurance information changing all the time, shouldn’t you make sure your dental plan records are up-to-date?
2018 will soon be over. Make an appointment today to see your dentist before 2019 arrives. The modest amount of time this takes will pay for itself with a better, brighter new year. We wish you and your family lots of happy smiles in the days ahead.
About the Author
Dr. Rachana Waghela completed her residency at New York’s Flushing Hospital after earning her dental degree from the University of Missouri in Kansas City. She’s proud to be a member of our Carmel, IN dental care team. You can reach her office online or by calling (317) 846-3436.