Given that one-third of Americans say that the first thing they notice about a person is his or her teeth, it’s understandable that you desire to have a perfect smile. Furthermore, it just makes you feel better about yourself to look in the mirror and see gleaming ivories staring back at you. That’s why your dentist of Carmel wants you to know about the amazing benefits of teeth whitening and how it can take your appearance to new heights.
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?
There are two methods available for whitening your teeth that far surpass store-bought options. This is because the latter are either too weak to render the desired effects or too strong to safely deliver results. But when you have professional whitening done in-office or receive an at-home whitening kit from your local expert, you can expect exponentially better results.
Here are the details of the two types:
- In-Office Teeth Whitening – When you go into your dentist’s office for teeth whitening of Carmel, you’ll be able to enjoy the fastest, safest and most predictable results. You can feel fully protected because your lips, gums and other soft tissues will be covered while the high-powered whitening gel is applied to your teeth. Taking only 20 minutes for each application, your dentist will continue giving you rounds of treatment until the desired looked is achieved.
- Take-Home Teeth Whitening – The take-home whitening option is still very effective because you’ll be given a personalized dose of gel and custom-crafted trays to deliver the same results you’d get in-office. Over a 10 to 14 day period you’ll apply the trays with gel inside to your teeth and watch them get brighter and brighter, until the final perfectly white smile is achieved.
How to Protect Your Improved Smile
Now that you have beautiful teeth, you want to protect them, so be sure to keep the following in mind:
- Avoid foods that stain – There are certain foods to be on the lookout for if you want to maintain the gleaming appearance of your teeth. They include such edibles as dark berries, tomato sauce and mustard.
- Brush after every meal – It’s a plus if you will brush your teeth after every meal. This removes leftover food particles before they have a chance to settle and stain your enamel.
- Floss and rinse frequently – Another tool you have to defend your teeth from discoloration is floss. Getting into the hard to reach spots, it removes the lingering foods that hide between your ivories and contribute to staining. It’s also a good idea to rinse your mouth thoroughly after flossing to help remove any remaining debris.
- Limit consumption of dark liquids – Many dark liquids contain an ingredient called tannin. Although naturally occurring, it causes havoc on the appearance of your teeth. Some of the main drinks to limit consumption of are tea, coffee and wine.
- Avoid tobacco use – Something that will definitely derail your positive results is smoking or chewing tobacco. The tar and nicotine inside will not only stain your teeth but can lead to severe tooth decay.
This is an exciting opportunity to get the look you’ve been wanting and make a powerful first impression on the people you meet. To setup an initial consultation, just reach out to your local dentist.
About the Author
A graduate of The Indiana University School of Dentistry, Dr. David J. Kristoff has over 30 years of experience practicing dentistry in the Carmel community. A member of several professional organizations, he practices at David J. Kristoff, DDS and can be reached for more information through his website.